26 September 2010

Another reason for Open Access

I've just learnt from one of my authors that Wiley want $130.00 for reproduction rights of a diagram in one of their journals - which is ridiculous.  I doubt if the authors even know about Wiley's charges and, in any event, they won't see a penny of it.  I'm doubtful whether Wiley are on secure legal grounds anyway.  What is the difference between quoting a paragraph of text (with due attribution) and quoting a diagram (with due attribution)?  Rest assured - if you want your diagrams, etc. to be used by others, so that they get wide publicity and citation, Information Research will not prevent it by charging!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Tom!
    I'm agree with you, it's ridiculous to pay any taxes for access to information published online, I think it should be free.
    Congratulations for your blog Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that Open Access is a way of communication between scientists, all the documentation you can find on these platforms have the only purpose of supporting science, and it is a great way for students to have at their disposal the very latest in their field. And so it seems me a shame, and it amazes me that some authors want to charge outrageous money for their works, I can understand that they charge for their work, but they could also contribute something to the scientific community.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete